Friday, June 23, 2006

Snow White and Rose Red



This quilt was created through a round robin quilting group. In a round robin quilting group each member begins a quilt, then passes it onto each of the other group members in turn. Each group member adds a border onto the quilt. There were six of us in my group, so my quilt has five borders, and our group created six quilts.

Like most of the quilts that I have created, the idea for this quilt began with the fabric. In this case the dark green fabric with red flowers reminded me of the fairy tale, Snow White and Rose Red. I began the first block, the two sisters dancing with the bear, and then the members of my round robin group did the rest. The first border, the house and the forest, matches up so well to the center block that most people don't realize it is a border.



The second border is a path through the woods. The third border shows the wicked dwarf and his bag of jewels. Notice the bag is leaking, and a few jewels have fallen to the ground.



The fourth border is a variation on a quilt block pattern called Bear's Paw. The last border was split in two: fairies above and red and white roses below for the two sisters.

This quilt is not complete. I intend to add one more border, a repeat of the Bear's Paw block in the dark green floral that inspired me in the first place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home