Tuesday, January 03, 2006

My Ten Year Project


This is a pattern that I bought at the Houston Quilt Festival a year or two ago. This square is one of five that came in the set, and each square is 12 inches across. I used my camera phone to take this picture so I'm not entirely sure that the color came out right. The applique fabric is a deep purple batik and the background fabric is a tan batik. I'm using a light blue batik with pink highlights in the insets. I have the patterns at home, so I can probably add the contact information if anyone is interested.

Because I'm using a batik fabric to do the applique fraying isn't a problem and I can cut as I go along. I don't have to deal with a bunch of little pieces which makes this a great ten year project. (so called because it has taken me two years to get this far, so I figure it will take me about eight more to finish...and some one asked me the other day if I was going to make a quilt of these blocks! Sure, in about forty-eight years! By the way, I'm just slow. The pattern isn't really that difficult.)

I like have a few projects that have no time limits on them. I know that there is no way to hurry myself along with this one (though, any nagging would probably only help me speed up), so instead I'm just enjoying taking my time. I feel like patience with myself and with the process of creating something is one of the gifts that quilting can teach a person. There are already so many things in my life that have to be hurried along and finished yesterday, but this is one project that will only progress slowly. I've started carrying the block in a small bag in my purse along with scissors, thread, and needles. I can take it out whenever I have a few spare minutes. If I finish in less than ten years, I'll only be happy!

So does anyone else have any ten year projects in the works like me?


ETA--> The pattern is sold by Garden City Gateworks. You can contact them via their website http://www.gardencitygateworks.com/ or phone 816-228-9817. The name of this series of patterns above is called Chantilly, and it looks like they have more than the five in the series that I originally bought. YAY!

1 Comments:

Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Yes.... I have a few "not in this decade" projects. Baltimore Album is probably on the top of the list....

4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home